Friday, October 8, 2010

New Arrival


My copy of the “X” in “B/X” arrived in the mail yesterday. I can’t tell you how much I appreciated the fact that the mail carrier folded the package in half and shoved it in to my tiny apartment-sized mailbox. Oh well, thankfully it was only the book (while I’d like to have the box and module as well, I don’t have the cash to spend on it right now) and it was only in there for about 30 minutes or so before I rescued it. I’m looking forward to reading it through completely.

I’ve had Moldvay's Basic set for quite a while now, complete with box and module. I somehow managed to pick up a near mint (both books inside were mint, the box is slightly damaged on one side) copy on Ebay for $11.00 a while back. The owner said a relative bought him the set but he and his friends had already moved on to AD&D, so the set was never used, it just sat on his bookshelf for decades. Since I only bought the book this time, I’ll just keep it with its little brother in the Moldvay box.

4 comments:

  1. Back in the day, they actually sold this booklet stand-alone as well as in the box with X1. My first copy was bought like that. I didn’t have a copy of X1 until a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, that’s cool, I don’t remember that since I started playing in the mid 80s when Mentzer’s sets were ubiquitous. It’s funny, my local mega used-bookstore has a really large of used D&D books and while it’s largely made up of 2nd edition cast offs, the most plentiful book on the shelves is X1 (original and revised covers). I’m guessing lots of folks sold that but held onto the rulebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your purchase! I also reacquired the complete B/X set on eBay recently and I'm itching to actually, you know, use it in some fashion. I have two young boys that I hope to introduce to D&D through the set once they have mastered the whole literacy thing. :)

    (My purchase: http://www.risusmonkey.com/2010/09/look-what-came-in-mail.html)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Risus. Congratulations to you as well. Looks like you ended up with the whole nine yards!

    ReplyDelete